Getting involved with the 12Rs and 12Ms project
Aims of the project
The ultimate objective is to have the 12Rs and 12Ms recognised
as the default framework for essential basic education.
Also the assessment
of abilities at all ages for evaluating suitability for employment,
determining social support needs and educational gateways.
Structure of work
Help is required to complete, validate and enrich this matrix.
- The Rs and Ms are separate projects with similar structures and
where a similar overall method can be applied.
- The Rs are relatively self-contained and comparatively easy to
understand, document and develop. They are more concrete and
measurable than the Ms.
- Each R can be analysed and developed according to a
standard template. (For example "D" looks at assessment and "D.3"
looks at 'go/no-go' tests). (A similar methodology can be applied to the Ms)
- This gives us a matrix of understanding, examples, difficulties, solutions,
experiments and implementation for each R.
Promulgation, politics, and practitioner development
Help is needed to:
- The NEED to replace a haphazard basic education system
with a structured, auditable, rational system for whole-life
skills should be obvious. . .
- The BENEFITS of having complete coverage of clearly
defined basic skills - allowing measurement, remediation and
support to be accurately focussed - should also be obvious. . .
- Sadly, just because the VALUE of the solution is clear
it doesn't mean anyone will be in a rush to rationalise.
- Convince the man-in-the-street, employer, supporter of vulnerable/disadvantaged,
and 'dogs-body' teachers people of the value
- Engage practioners in reorientation
- Make the case to policy advisors for radical overhaul of the system
- Persuade course authors, assessment developers and scheme testers to contribute
- Make the case for development funding
Creating a community of contributors
Here are some of the things you could do:
- Help with administering the collective development effort and keeping contributors informed.
- Help with promoting the Rs and Ms in general, recruiting collaborators and setting up policy discussion forums.
- Help with a donation
At the time of writing there's no formal organisation - not even a name.
Email me, Peter Fox, and we'll make a start.
This is a really worthwhile educational reform project without any political baggage.
It is based on a transparent analysis of what basic skills we want people to have.
The challenge is to get the education industry to adopt the rational, structural approach.
This needs people who are passionate about meaningful assessment and worthwhile standards.
- Although each R and M is clearly defined for purposes of being able to
focus, exercise and measure this doesn't mean that they should
be taught in everyday education as distinct subjects.